
US rockers Death Cab for Cutie have released their sixth album and say it’s like nothing they’ve come up with before. Expect more grit and grime from the sensational group’s new album, Narrow Stairs.
NICHOLAS HARMER, BASSIST
Nic came up with the title Narrow Stairs. “It lends itself to a lot of the lyrical content, he says. “It doesn’t imply descension or ascension and I think that by giving it some physical limitations in describing it as narrow it leaves a lot more open to interpretation.”
He doesn’t like rock stars with attitude. “I marvel at people who call themselves rock stars. It’s an insult. You can roll into town and try to be the biggest rock star and it’s like, ‘I don’t care who you are, man, your coffee still costs $3’.”
JASON MCGERR, DRUMMER
In his spare time Jason teaches drumming at the Seattle Drum School to 50 students aged between four and 60. He’s clear about his role in Death Cab for Cutie. “I tend to be the most optimistic one. I have a hard time picking things apart, where other people in the band are real good at that. I’m just appreciative and a cheerleader really,” he says.
CHRISTOPHER WALLA, GUITARIST
He has a solo indie rock album called Field Manual which was leaked onto the internet in January. Chris also has his own recording studio in Oregon called the Hall of Justice.
He loves reading and one of his favourite books is The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by CS Lewis. “It’s perfect. My favourite part is the dedication - I can’t think of a sweeter way to send off such a gorgeous labour of love.”
BENJAMIN GIBBARD, LEAD SINGER
Ben is also the front man of an electronic pop band called The Postal Service. He is a vegan and a huge supporter of animal rights. “I actually slipped off the vegetarian train with seafood last year. I’ve been eating fish sparingly here and there but still no ‘meat-meat’.” He’ll make his film debut in the upcoming Brief Interviews with Hideous Men about a student who copes with a break-up by interviewing various men.
WIN
Hey YOU! and Gallo Music are giving away 10 copies of Narrow Stairs. For a chance to win SMS the word CAB, followed by your name, surname and street address to 34922 before 24 September. Each SMS costs R2.