
It’s goodbye to High School Musical’s OTT Sharpay and hello to a hot new rock chick! ASHLEY TISDALE sheds her goody-two-shoes image with her second album, Guilty Pleasure, and its catchy first single, It’s Alright, It’s OK. Here’s the lowdown on the actress-turned-singer.
Ashley’s second album, Guilty Pleasure, follows her debut pop album, 2007’s Headstrong. She co-wrote several of the tracks on Guilty Pleasure. Recording started after she’d completed High School Musical 3.
She says the album signals a change in her image. “I’m not just the cute, bubbly blonde girl you know from Disney. I have a tougher side and I love rock music. This album really reflects who I am at this point in my life.”
The song It’s Alright, It’s OK is about being single instead of in a bad relationship. “It’s about how you need to stand up for yourself and not let someone walk all over you; it’s a message I wanted to get across to other girls,” Ashley says.
She’s also set to star in the adventure fantasy film Aliens in the Attic, due out later this year, and heads her own production company, Blondie Girl Productions. She’s working on two projects including a series on her experience of working in a shopping mall before she became famous.
She wants to take her film career in a more mature direction. “I think if I do another movie it has to be like a Juno or an edgy movie. I’m just more into the music right now. Maybe if something really gets me then I’ll definitely want to do it but right now I love what I’m doing.”
WIN
Who is your favourite TV star? Tell us and you could win one of 10 Guilty Pleasure albums. SMS the word ASHLEY followed by the name of your chosen TV celeb, your name and address to 34923 by 5 pm on 25 June. Each SMS costs R2.