Thursday, 19 February 2009

Talented Keke Palmer


Actress KEKE PALMER is on her way to being a big name in the movie industry. Hey YOU! brings you more on this 15-year-old star as her latest film, The Longshots, hits the big screen.

Keke set off on her road to stardom by singing in her church choir with her mother. “I think my passion for music comes from the encouragement my parents and church gave me to follow my dreams,” she says. At 10 she auditioned for a role in a production of The Lion King.

The acting bug bit even though she didn’t land a part. Her first role was as Queen Latifah’s niece in Barbershop 2: Back in Business.

Keke released a solo album, So Uncool, in 2007. One of the hits, Tonight, was chosen for the soundtrack to Ben Stiller’s movie Night at the Museum. She wrote most of her own songs. “A lot of people are surprised when they hear my CD. They’re like ‘Whoa man, you really can sing!’ and ‘This is some real R&B/hip-hop music!’ ” she says.

Her latest movie, The Longshots, which is based on true events, is set for release in South Africa on 27 February. Keke plays Jasmine Plummer who was 11 when she became the first girl to play in an American football tournament. Keke had to learn to play football and did intense training for seven weeks. “What interested me in the role was that it was so inspirational. Because it’s a true story I thought it would motivate girls to pursue their dreams.

“I want every girl to know we can do anything. We can play sports and not be afraid of what people will think. Just believe in yourself.”

Keke can next be seen on the big screen opposite Kevin Spacey in the film Shrink, set for release at the end of this year. She has signed another record deal so we can expect a new album later this year.

Besides that, she’s just doing whatever makes her happy. “Sometimes I wanna be a skater, sometimes I wanna be punk rock, sometimes I wanna be old-school hip-hop. Sometimes I wanna be just regular old Keke.”