
She has gone from shy singer under Jay-Z’s wing to a Grammy award-winning superstar. Here’s why we can’t get enough of Umbrella hitmaker RIHANNA who hasn’t yet turned 21.
SHE BEAT ADVERSITY
Rihanna grew up with an alcoholic dad. “He was a real party dude and his partying spiralled out of control,” she says. “My dad left home when I was nine. In my teen years I started to realise no child should have to experience what I had. But the past is the past. We’re friends now.”
HER DREAMS WERE REALISED EARLY IN LIFE
At 15 she was introduced to record producer Evan Rogers who was on holiday in Barbados. He was instantly impressed and called back saying he wanted to introduce her to Def Jam record-owner Jay-Z. “Two days later I was standing in Jay-Z’s New York office.”
SHE TOOK CHARGE OF HER IMAGE
Rihanna started off in the industry with long locks and simple make-up and a little unsure of herself. But by 2006 she wanted a makeover.
“I was in Paris and fancied a change of hairstyle so I had my hair cut into this cute bob that I was really happy with,” she says. “Someone from the record company saw me and said, ‘It looks nice but it’s not you’. That’s when I realised things had to change.”
GIVING TO CHARITY
She created her Believe Foundation in 2006 to help terminally ill children and performed a number of concerts to raise funds for the charity. “When I was young I would watch television and seeing all the children suffering I always said, ‘When I grow up, I want to help’.”
Last month she also joined Carrie Underwood, Ciara and Fergie on an anti-cancer campaign to create a song called Just Stand Up! which is available at iTunes.
SHE’S A FASHION ICON
Rihanna is a trendsetter, from her funky hairstyles and bright nail polish to gladiator sandals. “In the past I had no say in how I was presented. Then I got to a point where I felt confident. I see it as a transition from teenage girl to young woman. I make my own decisions now.”
A BRIGHT FUTURE BECKONS
Rihanna plans to release her fourth album next year and is set to make her movie debut in an upcoming drama called Mama Black Widow opposite Kerry Washington, Mos Def and Macy Gray.
THEN THERE’S THE CHRIS BROWN FACTOR . . .
What a lucky lady! They’re rumoured to have been dating for a while now and have been spotted on holiday together. They haven’t confirmed they’re a couple. But we know better!
ALBUMS
2005: Music of the Sun
2006: A Girl Like Me
2007: Good Girl Gone Bad